Friday, April 18, 2014

berry buttermilk cake

raspberry buttermilk cake

My family is coming to visit for the weekend, and I thought this cake might go well with coffee =)

What you need:
1 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest *optional
1 egg
1/2 cup of shaken buttermilk *I made my own-1/2 cup of milk, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice and let it stand for 5 minutes
1 cup fresh berry *the original recipe used raspberries, but I had blackberries so that's what I used

What to do:
-Cream the butter and sugar together until it's light and fluffy, about 2 minutes
-add the vanilla and lemon zest
-add egg
-combine the first 4 ingredients, and add in thirds alternating the the buttermilk.  Make sure to begin and end with the flour mix.
-Pour the batter into a greased 9 inch cake pan, and smooth out the batter.  Layer the berries on and bake at 400 for 20 to 30 minutes.

This just came out of the oven, and my house smells aaahhhhhhh-mazing!  I also tried a piece with my cup of tea, and it tastes wonderful! =)  It's light and fluffy, and the crust is just a tiny bit crispy.  Yummm!  Hope you guys like it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment